Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Importing animation - rigged character from .x file 
npantic

Hi, lately i searched web to find affordable web 3d/interactive 3d software package solution. I searched a large list of programs, and my eye was catchet by two software packages: Flux Studio and Awakening. Flux Studio seem to have more options and capabilities at a first glance, but Awakening have great potential too.

One thing that i really need is to get my rigged characters in Awakening, and sadly it is possible only with 3dStudio. I am trying now to import through an .x file, created with Blender, and through a nifty little animation application called Pacemaker. But so far no success. No playable animation is viewable inside Awakening. I tried to check my x file and it is okay - i imported it into FragMotion software, and it have exported bones, skinning, mesh, and animation well, so .x file appears to be valid.

Please if you can help me with this. Probably I am missing some important step ?
I am importing x file into a Blank Awakening document from the import dialog, choosing to import as a mobile but also tried differet type without success.

I am attaching here a x file with which I tried: http://www.nenadpantic.com/cgs/proba.x

Oh and i forgot to say that when I import that x i get correctly looking mesh, but in one pose frome the animation, there is no animation present and not any bone data...

Many thanks!

Nenad

awingsoft
Site Admin

I try to open your x file use d3d's mesh viewer, it cann't get correct animation data. Seems the x file include wrong animation data. How to you generate your x file? Maybe there is problem when you working with x file exporter.

npantic

Hi and thanks for reply!

I tried now with other Blender x exporter. Also I am attaching a smaller, very simple animation, for test.

DXViever shows everything fine... but i still dont understand how to get it inside Awakening...does not work!
Here is that file: http://www.nenadpantic.com/cgs/probanovo2.x

Thanks for help!

hde

I have also no success with your file.
What i can say is that the .x file from Character FX works fine. Thats a tool for only some few Dollars. http://www.insanesoftware.de There are some downloadeable character "Zombie" and a demo. Also after setting up the Rescale factor i can exort .x animations from my favourate 3d program Truespace.

npantic

hde wrote:
I have also no success with your file.
What i can say is that the .x file from Character FX works fine. Thats a tool for only some few Dollars. http://www.insanesoftware.de There are some downloadeable character "Zombie" and a demo. Also after setting up the Rescale factor i can exort .x animations from my favourate 3d program Truespace.

In the meantime, I created very simple animation (second post) and I got it working in DXViewer... it would be cool if I can have my Blender animations exported in Awakening, because I am more productive with Blender... If anyone find solution, that would be great... I am going also to research myself...

Maybe it would be good to have several example working files (*.sce) for download for such cases...

hde

Have tested again a pre made animated model from thegamecreators. And works fine. But be aware that Awakening seems not support pose to pose (or morph target animation) as far as i know and seen. Possible that is included in Awk and i don't know how. But i'm sure, Awingsoft can make a statement.
And ... pls. don't forget to make a "shot" if you want see a animation in Awk.

npantic

Hmhh, strange, first animation which I posted was (i checked in Fragmotion) skeletal, and second have no bones, probably Blender exported it as a vertex animation - morph keys. But both of them does not work in Awk... for now. I checked few other combinations, even exporting models from Character FX which yu mentioned, but something is a miss... Maybe i did something wrong preparing placeholder for an animation in Awk? Firstly I open blank document, then I create a Shot0, and then I import .x file as a mobile. Then i check the Shot0 and press Run button. Nothing happens, like it is badly bewitched Sad Very Happy . Indicative is that there is nothing under the Bones properties of the mesh Sad

Can someone post a working example so i can get a clue ? Question
(for example, simple working .x animation file that is proven to work in Awakening ?)

Thanks!
 some statements about importing animation: 
awingsoft
Site Admin

1. Awakening does not support morph animation (pose to pose).
2. Needs import .x file as skin mesh for animation.
3. When importing, Awakening take frames per 160 ticks(milliseconds), please ensure enough long time animation in .x file.
4. Awakening use DX8.1, so please use DX8.1's mesh viewer (mview.exe) to check .x file.

Last edited by awingsoft on Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total

awingsoft
Site Admin

The probanovo2.x cann't open in mview, so I use Right Hemisphere's Deep Exploration convert it to another .x file.
Now the mview can open the converted .x file, and Awakening also import it well; but the imported bones ani with a 0.0 sec time length animation, so I guess the problem is the animation not long enough.

npantic, please tell us what's your .x exporter for blender, we can do more research.

hde

"Firstly I open blank document, then I create a Shot0, and then I import .x file as a mobile. Then i check the Shot0 and press Run button. Nothing happens, like it is badly bewitched"

Normally i import first the .x and the create the "shot". I will try to create a simple .x character without any license issues and will upload the .sce file during the next 1-2 days.

hde

http://www.uploadpower.com/de/download.php?id=02ADC6C33

You can try this scenery with Directx .x animation.

npantic

Hey, thanx for this example very much! It opened my eyes to some other approaches...

I realised that I should import my x files as a skin mesh, thats first! Before, it had confused me because it allways told me an error : Not found skin data. I tried now to load x files as a skin mesh from several applications. I succeded with some! And I am trying to understand why: I guess it was because file format. I saw that when file is saved like this:

Code:

xof 0303txt 0032

// File exported by PaceMaker 1.3

template XSkinMeshHeader {
<3cf169ce-ff7c-44ab-93c0-f78f62d172e2>
 WORD nMaxSkinWeightsPerVertex;
 WORD nMaxSkinWeightsPerFace;
 WORD nBones;
}

template VertexDuplicationIndices {

... it does not import skin mesh data: No skin mesh found (!?!?).

But when the file looks like this:

Code:

xof 0303bin 0032     XSkinMeshHeader
  Îiń<|˙«D“Ŕ÷ŹbŃrâ(     nMaxSkinWeightsPerVertex (     nMaxSkinWeightsPerFace (     nBones      VertexDuplicationIndices
  IUÖ¸ÉוI‰ĎS©¨°1ă)     nIndices )     nOriginalVertices 4 )     indices     nIndices       SkinWeights
  ;
oŇşgA Đ€"O%ú»1     transformNodeName )     nWeights 4 ) 
   vertexIndices     nWeights  4 *     weights     nWeights         Matrix4x4    matrixOffset      AnimTicksPerSecond

@rŁżŐĎţ@&ě?»ěż6Čý@=I @l&ŻżyAŚř @rŁżŐĎţ@&ě?Ł‰ż‰©AN @Ł‰ż‰©AN @×Ę=|› A®ą?Ć$’˝·‹ A,‚·?^h^ľŔ A—Ĺ°?×Ę=Ń" A„»·?×Ę= µA@ž?ăú‡ľI"A˝?×Ę=‡
ANą?×Ę=4hAŐ&ş?×Ę=7qA»Ô?Z掽̨AŻ%Č?c‡˝÷ő

it does import it into Awakening like an animated skin mesh!

Now, two meditations:

I do not know how to get from this plain text format to that code-like, even binary, if possible. Is there a standalone converter or application that converts ascii .x to binary x ? My Blender/Pacemaker exporters does not have that option buil in, they export ascii. Then, maybe is only matter of saving files. I tried some other codepages: utf, unicode, but does not help.

And:Even if it is exported in, there are some errors in the interpretating of vertices positions in animation, so some vertices behaives like they are not assigned... i am experimenting with export options in various applications.

Surely I will research more, but if you have experience with this, drop a line ! Smile

Thanks

awingsoft
Site Admin

Quote:
I do not know how to get from this plain text format to that code-like

use Right Hemisphere's Deep Exploration convert x file to dx8 standard x format.

nigec

Maybe MilkShape might be a cheaper alternative, most of he 3D game developers I know use it
X format can be and often does screw up depending on which 3D software you use

hde

A little update for my DirectX .x animation test file. One approach for me was to include a infinite action like walking. Now included via the "Walk ~" command to the character.
http://www.uploadpower.com/de/download.php?id=C119ED6B3