Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Export to 3DS 
dinther

I have been trying to import a 3ds file, texture and lightmap it and then export it again. So far I have been able to either export "Lightmap" or "Base texture" but the "Texture X Lightmap" option remains disabled.

I want to load the 3DS model into my own application written in Delphi and GLScene but I need both texture and lightmapping to be stored in the 3DS file for this application to be useful.

Does anyone know how to do that?

Vincent

The 3ds format does not support multi-layer textures. You can export texture and lightmap to two 3ds files respectively; then combine them in your program.

dinther

Thanks Vincent,

I just dug deeper into the GLScene code for delphi and found that it does have texture and lightmap coodinates for it's internal mesh object structure and indeed as you said the #DS file format does not because I can see the loader copying the texture coordinates to the lightmap coordinates.

This means that it should be possible to build the solution you proposed. However, I was wondering which of the file formats supported by LMM can handle multiple texture coordinates ?

Vincent

Quote:
This means that it should be possible to build the solution you proposed. However, I was wondering which of the file formats supported by LMM can handle multiple texture coordinates ?

VRML97, Blitz3D

If you know C++, I think use LMM's SDK to write a your own exporter is a good choice.

dinther

Thanks, I managed to read the 3DS data generated by LMM and combine them. Absolutely awesome results. However, my meshmodeler is Sketchup which exports 3DS but LMM fails to load that file properly. I put the 3DS file through 3DS Max8 in case the file was not clean but the textures are completely messed up and all material is replaced by one material.

Such a pitty because I have seen at least 10 Lightmap applications today but none as good as LMM.

Vincent

About 3ds exporting for SketchUp, see:
Tutorials on RadiosityGames

If you like, welcome post some screenshots of your work on the Gallery forum.

dinther

Much appreciated. The tutorial instructions are clear. I tried this method but Max8 took forever to import the wrl file and lost the textures when done. (Yes they were turned on in the Sketchup options) Not a bad idea though. Already tried to "cleanup" a 3ds file by importing it into max and then exporting it again as 3ds which always produce the error:

---------------------------
DM Error
CSurfObj::MakeSurfaces():
generative surface's triangle num not be equal to triobj's triangle num
OK

and lose parts of the meshes.

There are so many variations possible between Sketchup ---> Max8 ---->LMM so far none produces the desired result.

Bottom line is that your 3DS loader may not be as solid as it could be. My mesh doesn't have many faces but it is very large in size (large airport grounds). One of the meshes it contains is a airbridge that is re-used throughout the model. I can make the model available to you for testing if you like via a private channel like email.

In my search for a lightmapping solution I have come across several 3DS loaders written in Delphi which is my programming language of choice. And some of those loaders are actually quite good with the 3DS loader from GLScene being the best.

I tried your trial version of awakening. It actually does a better job but still fails to read the 3DS model correctly. I really believe your lightmapper is one of the better ones I have seen. More than happy to buy a license for it if the 3DS loader would be fixed.

(After my product presentation in Feb I will be able to make available screenshots)

Vincent

Thanks, please email the model to comments@awingsoft.com .

nigec

For some reason exported 3DS models wont work in Bryce or Truespace, I'm generally having issues with Lightmaker under Vista, Models that loaded up fine on a XP machine hang/don't respond under Vista

chal1oye

There are so many variations possible between Sketchup ---> Max8 ---->LMM so far none produces the desired result.

Bottom line is that your 3DS loader may not be as solid as it could be. My mesh doesn't have many faces but it is very large in size (large airport grounds). One of the meshes it contains is a airbridge that is re-used throughout the model. I can make the model available to you for testing if you like via a private channel like email.

In my search for a lightmapping solution I have come across several 3DS loaders written in Delphi which is my programming language of choice. And some of those loaders are actually quite good with the 3DS loader from GLScene being the best.