Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Normals lost on export 
matthew

I've been doing some format tests and setting the view options to see normals only yields the following:

- Externally loaded .x model displays with correct normals
- No light mapping is performed and model is exported (back to .x - but apparently has the same effect with other models)
- The scene is cleared and that exported model is imported again, now the normals show incorrectly (each polygon having it's own set of normals facing the same direction as the polygon itself)

I could very likely do a plugin version of this for the format I need the model exported in (.b3d), but I do not see the source for that export plugin available. Would this be possible to obtain to do a custom modification?

I tested exported .b3d models first btw, they experience the same export problem with the normals. Although without the ability to import .b3d files into the light mapper I have to fold back to .x models to prove where the problem really is.

Vincent

When import model as surface, program will break up model into surfaces. So normlas of vertices are lost.
You can find the source codes of B3D exporter in LMM's sources folder.

matthew

If that's the case, why do the normals load and display correctly in LMM when the first (original) .x model is loaded?

matthew

Disproved your theory btw. I just performed a small modification (8 new lines - 1 modified) on the .b3d export code and now normals export correctly.

The overall exporter could use some work though. Exporting each polygon to a separate mesh is terribly inefficient for the end-program that has to display the mesh. I could probably rectify this with an overhaul of the primary export loop, but I don't want to bother if the licensing weighs in at what a person could obtain Gile[s] for.

matthew

I think this is a really cool program btw. It's one of the better light mappers I've seen, especially with it's exceptional mapping speed.

I believe the exporting needs a little love, but aside from that my only primary concern is licensing. If the LMM stand-alone is free software (even for commercial use) I think this is probably one of the most under-rated solutions available.

Vincent

I suggest you try the Awakening 3.0 Beta, it has more lighting features like Alpha Test.
But if you really like LMM, don't worry about licensing, it really free even for commercial use. Just help us do a advertising if it's possible. Wink

matthew

Awesome!

If I create a better .b3d exporter for LMM would you mind including it in a new release of LMM?

I have a product line I'm working on for developers, and I am interested in pointing them to LMM as a free light mapping solution to help them get their games up and running, etc... To help keep it easy for them (and me) it would help a whole lot if you included the updated .b3d exporter in the product. I will provide you with the updated sources as well.

Where would you like me to send the improved sources btw? techsupport@awingsoft.com?

Vincent

Sure, please send the source to comments (at) awingsoft.com when you finish the b3d exporter, thank you!