Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Seam on imported objects.. 
spoon

I've noticed a seam on imported .obj files (Not tested with other formats). I imported a sphere from both ZBrush and Cinema 4D and they both had a seam running down the side of them. It seems to be a shading issue where one side of the UV map wraps to meet the other side.

Vincent

Thanks for your report!
Have you received a 65536 vertex number limit message when importing? ZBrush's model commonly has high polygon count. You can send us the .obj file if you like, we can do some research.

spoon

Hiya Vincent!,

You don't need me to send you an .obj file, the seam will appear on any sphere you import into Awakening. I've tested it with objects from several programs and all objects had the seam.

Vincent

please wait the new obj importer, we'll repair it as soon as possible.

spoon

Thanks, Vincent! Smile

Vincent

hi, spoon, please download the repaired obj importer, extract it and overwrite the plugins\OBJimp.dll file. The version of new obj importer is V0.31; it repaired the vertex normal error and support polygon now.

spoon

Well that new obj importer fixed the problem with imported objects being displayed as triangles, but the seam issue is still present.

Here's a screenshot:

and here's the actual file from Cinema 4D:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9yy1zk12zxj

Vincent

thanks for your model file. I've checked it, actually there is no vertex normal data in the file. So the vertex normals are calculated by Awakening. Because some vertices overlap each other (have same position), so the calculated normals are not reasonable。The new importer can import ZBrush's sphere well. Maybe you can try to export vertex normal data to .obj file.

nigec

I just tried with a 3DS sphere and an OBJ (used truespace) and i do get a seam with both as in the pics above, but as soon as you add a texture it looks fine, the OBJ sphere did look a lot worse

thats both spheres in the engine with the shadow texture

spoon

Vincent wrote:
thanks for your model file. I've checked it, actually there is no vertex normal data in the file. So the vertex normals are calculated by Awakening. Because some vertices overlap each other (have same position), so the calculated normals are not reasonable。The new importer can import ZBrush's sphere well. Maybe you can try to export vertex normal data to .obj file.

I've tried it with a ZBrush sphere and I still get the seam. I'm using ZBrush 3.1. Perhaps your sphere was from ZBrush 2?. I'm aware that Pixologic changed the way they map spheres in ZBrush 3 because I once wrote an .obj convertor myself for ZBrush 2 and later had to rewrite it for ZBrush 3 .obj files.

Vincent

please try the obj importer V0.32.

spoon

Vincent wrote:
please try the obj importer V0.32.

WOOHOO!!!

It worked!! Very Happy

It's awesome to see you guys be so responsive to fixing the problems.

Now we got that sorted, I'll go see if I can find some other problems for you! hehe

It's only because I see so much potential in Awakening and its tiny Player that I bother to report the bugs. and it makes it all worthwhile when you guys are clearly listening.

Thank you!