Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 need more info on Awakening features... 
moogaloonie

I am impressed by the dynamic lighting of the newer version, but I still have several questions about this application.

Is it possible to use Awakening without 3DS Max? I use Wings, own zBrush and am considering blender. I've looked at Cararra, which supports the Collada format, as well as a few other sub-$800 programs such as TrueSpace and XSI Foundation. Can I use any of these programs instead?

How do joints work in Awakening? I like that there are skinned characters, but would like to know how the joints are set up, whether they are weighted by a map or by envelopes or other method.

Is it possible to have a skinned character with a bump or normal map, environment map, and dynamic shadows all working together? Is there any type of morph animation or motion blending?

Hopefully other users will post examples showing the features I am curious about in action. I am interested in Awakening for machinema and possibly some type of game. I see there are many cool features, but little info about them on this site. (I use dial-up, and have not tried the demo version.)

Thanks!

Vincent

Quote:
Is it possible to use Awakening without 3DS Max? I use Wings, own zBrush and am considering blender. I've looked at Cararra, which supports the Collada format, as well as a few other sub-$800 programs such as TrueSpace and XSI Foundation. Can I use any of these programs instead?

Awakening can import some popular 3d file formats like 3ds, d3d x, etc. So you can use most modeling softwares.
see: import/export

Quote:
How do joints work in Awakening? I like that there are skinned characters, but would like to know how the joints are set up, whether they are weighted by a map or by envelopes or other method.

You cann't modify bones/envelopes in Awakening yet. Awakening use .tri file to store model & skin data, and use .ani file to store bones along with animation, these files can exported from 3DSMAX. For other modeling softwares, you can transfer skin & bones data to Awakening by D3D X file.

Quote:
Is it possible to have a skinned character with a bump or normal map, environment map, and dynamic shadows all working together? Is there any type of morph animation or motion blending?

In Awakening, skinning mesh is most like normal mobile, you can set material for it; and you can use any technique in material like bump, normal map, env map, etc. Dynamic shadows are also works well with skin meshs.

Morph animation is not supported in Awakening, I think this technique can be replaced by skinning mostly.

Quote:
Hopefully other users will post examples showing the features I am curious about in action. I am interested in Awakening for machinema and possibly some type of game. I see there are many cool features, but little info about them on this site. (I use dial-up, and have not tried the demo version.)

We'll explain more features in the forum. And the demo version is about 2.5M, not too big, I think it's worth to download and play around with it. Welcome to drop in sometime, thanks!

moogaloonie

For most things, skinning should be fine. Morphing seems really useful for things like facial animation. I'd hate to try to rig a character's face to talk or express emotion...

Vincent

Sure, we'll consider this, thanks.

tyree

if your doing real time animation, skinning a face will eventually become a neccesity. skinning a face, may you may find, is not as difficult as your assuming it will be