Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Creating Surfaces........................................... 
spoon

I'm just testing Awakening and I've imported an .obj file with the convert to surface option. I've now been sat here for 10 minutes waiting for it to create surfaces for an object that's only made from several groups. I'm guessing that Awakening is either broken or is carrying out some highly complicated process while it tries to work out the surfaces.

I'm wondering if maybe it would be wiser for you guys to simply break an object into its groups and leave it at that. This way things would be much quicker and the users can create their models with 'surface to group' in mind before importing.

Or maybe make it an option so that a user can decide whether they want Awakening to use the group=surface approach?

It's incredibly frustrating watching Awakening unnecesarily processing my model in some overly convoluted way.

Anyway, just an idea! Smile

Vincent

Quote:
I'm just testing Awakening and I've imported an .obj file with the convert to surface option. I've now been sat here for 10 minutes waiting for it to create surfaces for an object that's only made from several groups. I'm guessing that Awakening is either broken or is carrying out some highly complicated process while it tries to work out the surfaces.

How many faces in your model?
If your model has curved face, it's hard to convert it to surfaces, because every surface is a plane. So surfaces commonly for flat models like building. For curved face model, you can import as mobile/static mesh.

Quote:

I'm wondering if maybe it would be wiser for you guys to simply break an object into its groups and leave it at that. This way things would be much quicker and the users can create their models with 'surface to group' in mind before importing.
Or maybe make it an option so that a user can decide whether they want Awakening to use the group=surface approach?

Thanks for your clue, we'll try to improve the importer. Have you try the 3DS importer? It can split object by materials.

Quote:
It's incredibly frustrating watching Awakening unnecesarily processing my model in some overly convoluted way.
Anyway, just an idea!

Thanks for your support. Feel free to email us or post in here for any problem, we'll try our best to help you.