Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Higher Precision 
theE

Here's why:
I have downloaded LightMapMaker .39. I tried importing 3ds and obj formats. But when I export them, the exported files do not have the same amount of vertices as the original! This is a very serious problem, because most 3d engines require the two meshes to have the same amount of vertices! I welded both meshes together (the lightmap mesh and the original target mesh) and they ended up having the same amount. But the particular engine I was using still rejected the lightmap.

Also, the vertex coordinates are not the same! This is a very serious problem, because most 3d engines require that the model align with the target mesh perfectly. They are off by decimal values! And to make matters worse, some (some aren't) of the vertices are in the right position! This makes it impossible to place the model so that it fits.

Another technique of many 3d engines is to render the lightmap mesh on top of the target mesh. But in order for it to work the meshes faces must be in the exact same position! Else zbuffer effects will be felt!

Does LightMapMaker not support floating point precision?

Vincent

When LMM importing mesh, mesh'll be disassembled to surfaces, so the vertices amount will be changed. You should discard original mesh and use LMM's mesh in 3D engine.
 materials 
theE

I'd love to but for some reason when I load the original mesh the materials are gone.