Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Collision with Static Mesh 
matty47

Question re above. I imported, as a static mesh, a terrain model made in other software. This mesh has a UV mapped texture also created in other software. The object appears OK in the viewer. If I change out of free flight mode in the player the camera drops through the mesh. I assume that it is not registering a collision. If I copy the mesh and paste it in its original position and then convert this copy to a surface, in the player tha camera will now collide with the surface and not fall through. The reason for not converting the original mesh to a surface only is that the UV texture is lost as the conversion creates lots of individual surfaces.

Question is have I missed something? Can I in fact make the camera recognise the static mesh and collide with it?

If I created a dummy object and made the camera a child of this dummy would the dummy object collide with the static mesh and so stop the camera falling through?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just can't find the answer in the help file.
Thanks
Matthew

nigec

If you "install scene" and set it up game mode does it still do it?

I've used terrains with Bryce but exported as 3ds and they work fine, also have the camera slightly to high

Vincent

A Static Mesh is treated as a Box in collision detection, so it's not suitable for terrain. If the player position is in the bounding box of a static mesh, you will fall through it.
There is a terrain system can do accurate collision detection for terrain in the AW3.5 alpha version, you can try it.

matty47

Thank you for allowing me to test the new version. Downloading it now
Matthew

liverol

the new terrain system is amazing,i tried and edited a nice terrain.
anything else in the new 3.5?

matty47

You've "let the cat out of the bag" now. What an excellent terrain system. I am enthused once again. How far into testing this version are you??
I did notice one visual bug in the editor when importing a steep terrain - sometimes the farther mesh would show as edge lines over closer features. -I don't think I explained that very well.
Thanks again and looking forward to this release. Maybe the forum will get enlivened as well?
Matthew

Vincent

Quote:
anything else in the new 3.5?

The Video Texture feature will also be available.

Quote:
I did notice one visual bug in the editor when importing a steep terrain - sometimes the farther mesh would show as edge lines over closer features.

The maximum of terrain size is 256 x 256, does your terrain exceed the size?