Register  |  FAQ  |  Search  |  Memberlist  |  Usergroups  |  Log in 
Reply to topic
 Info on .tri files 
dazza101

I have only just discovered Awakening and am working through the tutorials and learning the programme. I wanted to know a little more about the .tri (triangle) file format. I have seen there are exporters available for 3ds max, but are there any other programs which can export the format, as I don't own 3dsmax and am unlikely to do so? Also, is the .tri format used by Awakening the same as the .tri format listed as an export format in the IVCON programme? I guess the question I have is, what are the advantages of using the tri format for your models and does importing models in other formats (e.g. .obj, .3ds, .x, etc) make any difference?

awingsoft
Site Admin

The .tri format is a native file format of Awakening, not the format in IVCON. Currently, we only provide .tri exporting plugins for 3dsmax; in the Awakening3.5 Beta, you also can save mobile to .tri file. You can import other format file into Awakening when editing scene, but if you want to load mesh runtime by scripting (e.g. use scene.createMobile() load mesh), you need the .tri format.

If you no 3dsmax, the Google SketchUp, trueSpace, blender, etc are also suitable. See Tutorials in the forum to learn how to export model from these softwares.

dazza101

Thanks for the reply. So the workflow for importing a an animated skin mesh would be to export from the 3D app such as Truespace as .x file - then export the mobile from Awakening as .tri to enable script loading at runtime? Are the details of the .tri format available to enable us to produce our own converter/plugins for export? Just a thought.

nigec

The game I posted recently was modeled in Truespace and exported as 3DS, you just need to remember to have the textures in the same folder as the model and to trianglate objects with holes in
I used Tri for the character simple because the DAE from Daz didn't work, plus the file size was huge, Direct X i always have issues with from Truespace, but I'm useless at characters anyway, TS7.6 exporter does work from workspace side

edit.. the game is open source BTW so feel free to have a look about

Vincent

Quote:
So the workflow for importing a an animated skin mesh would be to export from the 3D app such as Truespace as .x file - then export the mobile from Awakening as .tri to enable script loading at runtime?

You no need to export to .tri file, skin animation no need scripting.

Quote:
Are the details of the .tri format available to enable us to produce our own converter/plugins for export? Just a thought.

You can send me an email(techsupport@awingsoft.com), I'll send the detials of .tri format to you.

dazza101

Thanks Vincent, I sent you an email requesting the format details. I also also purchased a licence today, as I think this is a great programme! Now I just need to spend the time to learn all the details Very Happy